Everyone wants our streets to be safe for pedestrians, bicyclists and public transit in addition to automobiles and freight carriers. Everyone wants our streets to be vibrant public spaces that inspire economic vitality.
WHEN: Wednesday, Feb. 19, 2014
5:30 PM-7:30 PM
WHERE: Memphis Leaderhip Foundation
1548 Poplar Ave.
Memphis, TN 38014
Free and open to the public, registration required. Click to register now.
The Active Transportation Alliance, our consultants on this project will demonstrate at this meeting how Complete Streets strategies can be used locally. Complete Streets safely accommodate all users and serve a variety of modes –– each prioritized based on need and context. Memphis is committed to Complete Streets, and we are in the process of developing the Design Manual that will serve as the roadmap to get there.
You will learn:
- What is a Complete Streets Design Manual and why does Memphis need one?
- Who ultimately decides how streets and public spaces are designed?
- What are the obstacles to building great streets that are safe, accessible and meet the needs of the community? Is it cost, design standards or process?
- How does this effort relate to our Regional Greenprint Plan?
We will take a closer look at some Memphis-specific projects to investigate:
- How were design decisions made for some recent street renovation projects? How did that “project delivery process” give us the roadways we have today? How can we do things differently in the future?
- Would a Complete Streets Design Manual help incorporate Complete Streets strategies into their designs?
- Let’s see how Complete Streets Strategies could be incorporated into the Memphis Heritage Trail – a historically significant route through the heart of downtown.
Free and open to the public – REGISTRATION REQUIRED! Pizza and refreshments provided courtesy of Self+Tucker Architects.